Monday 24 November 2014

Current Read: Eyebags & Dimples


If you know me, you know that I’ve always loved Bonnie Henna. I loved her on Technics Heart of the Beat, I loved her even more on Rhythm City and by the time Catch a Fire came out I was obsessed. I was however not sold on the idea of her penning an autobiography. Hesitant and afraid of disappointment I choose to pass on reading the book. Everybody who did read it ranted and raved about how great it was, they spoke of its deeply inspiring story line and effortless writing.

On Sunday, while chilling on a friends couch I noticed he owned a copy, I borrowed it and started reading it last night, for nothing but, to prove to myself that I had been right all along. I was proved gravely wrong. After the second chapter I felt a deep sense of nostalgia, reminiscing on my own childhood. I only read to chapter four, but I can honestly say I’m enjoying the book. The narrative is simple and straight forward, no attempts to impress or embellish. The story is familiar and relatable and beckons for you to keep reading. I can’t wait to get back home from work and continue reading.

And to Bonnie, I’m sorry I doubted your abilities.   

No comments:

Post a Comment