Monday 10 September 2012

Artist of the month - Napo Masheane

 

I remember the first time I heard a Napo Masheane poem, I may not remember the contents of said poem but, I remember her. Boisterous and proud, this woman spoke real, tackling with great ease issues that live constantly within every woman’s realm of thought. She penned some of my favourite stage performances, with titles such as “My Bum is Genetic, Deal with It”, “Hair and Comb” and “Fat Lady Sings” being amongst my all-time favourites. Her work speaks in an easily understandable, gravely familiar voice and sings the praises of women all the while shouting the importance of self-love and self-appreciation all these wrapped neatly in a humorous tone.
Her poetry does the very same thing and some of my favourites include “Fat Love” a beautiful love song to the odd one out my favourite verse reads;

The girls of Mollo: The woman in me
    
 
Napo and the Fat Black girls


This is the Genetic bum you've heard may a story of


The cast of Hair and comb




"They named you fat to own your pride
And lied
So that you can die
To break your stride
And called you not good enough"
She has penned two Anthologies titled “The Caves Speak in Metaphors” and “Fat Songs for my Girlfriends”
This phenomenal playwright, poet, director, producer and performer is not only a tremendous talent but, also a genuinely great person, I am of cause highly bias when it come to her, seeing as she was my boss for just over a year and as far as bosses go, she was the best.

For more on Napo follow this link http://www.iwebserv.net/#!__napo-masheane


No comments:

Post a Comment